As the winter season creeps up over Cape Town in the form of dark grey clouds and endless rainfall, the drop in temperatures are sure to induce leave-me-alone-I’m-cold moods and I-got-out-bed-for-this? facial expressions in many of us.
I personally am not a fan of anything that requires heavy woolen articles of clothing and a heater. I hate cold. Infact, I believe I’m allergic to cold. Seriously. My skin breaks out in a red angry rash that’s itchy and horrible looking, which only dissappears when I pull on an extra layer of clothing and climb into the blankets. So, in light of all of this, I have developed a couple of fail proof methods to help me through the next few dreadful months and prevent me from sinking into hibernation mode in my very warm, blanket-layered bed.
- Stock up on coffee – I recently had a stroke of luck and came across a supermarket promotion that allowed me to buy a Glamour magazine and receive a bag of goodies as well. Best R26 I ever spent. Among the lovely treats I got was a Jacobs coffee pack. This stuff is amazing! It gives you just the right amount of a caffeine buzz to make you believe that you’re drinking the coffee while on a break from reading a particularly interesting novel, and not because you are trying to stay awake at 2:00 AM in the morning.
- Start watching a very interesting series – My best pick me up during a dull rainy day is watching the latest episode of this season’s sexy, suspense filled Vampire Diaries series. I don’t know about you, but it makes me not mind being stuck in doors at all. Of course there is always the risk of spending entire afternoons curled up in bed with the curtains drawn, lights off and the laptop flickering with images of the latest episode, but who’s complaining!
- Invest in a (not so) furry friend – To those of you who are in relationships, lucky you. Best cuddle time with the significant other = winter time! Am I right or am I right? As for me, I am part of the single and loving it club. Although recently, the ‘loving it’ has been left in out in conversations quite a lot. However, regardless of my relationship status, I do have a cuddle buddy! His name is Luey, and he comes from a country known as the Build-A-Bear workshop. He also has a blue nose. Beat that ladies! 😀
- Get a fan heater – My little Airtech fan heater is the best thing since sliced bread. It warms my room up in minutes, resulting in me peeling off the layers that I tend to overdo when dressing up in the morning. In addition, fan heaters are safer than bar heaters. There is almost no risk of something burning if it accidentally falls on or is in the path of the heat source. And after my brother burnt a pair of socks on our bar heater at home, I know first hand how bad those babies can be. However, that doesn’t mean that you should throw a blanket over your fan heater and go for a stroll. I’m just saying.
- Take lots of vitamin C – With the cold comes the flu. Ain’t nobody got time for that! So my preferred choice of ammunition; a healthy dose of vitamin C every morning. It works people!
So far, I’ve been managing with these tips. Infact, I’m very prepared to take on the cold. Thankfully, I am yet to experience days of walking around campus like a cold dead corpse. Unfortunately, that just might happen soon enough, especially with my exams stating in no less than 5 weeks.
I hope my pointless ramblings made sense to you and enriched your life somehow. I would would love to hear how you oh reader, combats the cold and stays flu free during winter time. After all, sharing is caring 🙂
And with that, I bid you farewell. I really should be doing something more productive with my life right now. It’s study time…where’s my coffee???
Till next time,